Penki and 5 facts about television
World Television Day is celebrated around the world on 21 November. We are glad to contribute to the development of television in Lithuania. In 2006, we were the first in the country to offer IPTV services. Congratulations to all our clients! We bring to your attention 5 interesting facts about television.
1. The first television tower in the world was built in 1926 in Berlin. Compared to modern giants, it looks rather modest with its 150 meters. Today, the tallest TV tower is located in Japan and is called the "Tokyo Sky Tree". Its height is 634 m (Vilnius TV tower - 326.5 m). Tokyo Tower is also an entertainment and shopping complex. In March 2011, during an earthquake, its spire collapsed, but the tower stood up.
2. The first official paid television advertisement came out in the United States on July 1, 1941, over New York station WNBT. A clock appeared in the background of the map before a baseball game. A voiceover announced the current time. The “Bulova Watch Company” advertisement cost only $9. Ridiculous money for today, isn't it?
3. The longest soap opera is not "Santa Barbara", as many think, but "Guiding Light". It has been running first on the radio since 1937, then on television since 1952. 15 thousand 763 episodes were shown until 2009.
4. Not everyone knows that there is a television tax in England. All those who buy or watch TV must pay the tax. The money goes to improve broadcasting and to maintain the BBC, England's only TV channel without advertising.
5. The most expensive television contract was signed with Oprah Winfrey, $300 million for six years. However, the most popular show in the world is “Top Gear“. The British auto show has entered the Guinness Book of Records as the entertainment TV show with the largest audience (350 million). The show is broadcast in 212 countries around the world.
We also invite our TV viewers to turn on the Sony Turbo channel and appreciate the skill of “Top Gear“ racers!
More than 130 Penki TV channels are waiting for fans of TV series or other programs.
Follow the news, and find out what we offer, inform of, or invite to try. Be the first to learn about the most important Penki events.